Friday 26 December 2014

Hashima Island

I was watching "Skyfall" on TV the other night which featured a scene on an abandoned island which turned out to be a real place off the coast of Japan near Nagasaki.  According to Wikipedia "The island was populated from 1887 to 1974 as a coal mining facility. The island's most notable features are the abandoned and undisturbed concrete apartment buildings and the surrounding sea wall."  It looked like a cool location to draw so I checked out Google street view which has great shots from the island and from the sea.
 
I drew this using a nib pen and Winsor & Newton black Indian Ink.  It is the first time I have used this and it is pretty tricky.  I also made the mistake of using it whilst sitting on my sofa which now has a lovely black ink blot on the cushion.  Well, you live and learn.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment