Sunday 17 July 2016

Damián Ortega

My favourite piece was Lava Waves. At first I thought he had
just thrown some clay down and fired it but then I realised he
had sculpted waves.  This photograph does not do these pieces any
justice at all but they really were marvellous when viewed up
close.
1 of a series of 8
called Icebergs
Popped in to the Fruitmarket Gallery yesterday when I was passing by.  I didn't know what was on and discovered their latest exhibition of work by Mexican artist Damián Ortega.  I thought his pieces were marvellous. Contemporary art exhibitions can be a hit or a miss (though being arty I usually always draw something from what I see) but this was a definite hit for me!






 Damián uses this series of bricks to show the process of erosion in this 2016 piece called Eroded Valley.


A multitude of clay objects which made me think of archaeology
and things humans throw away.






On my way out of the gallery I bought yet another drawing book from the shop.  It had a piece in it from Charles Avery whose drawings I admire so that's what sold me.

No comments:

Post a Comment