Sunday 29 June 2014

The beginning of the journey

So, on a whim in June 2014, I decided to try my hand at art.  Full in the knowledge that I've not quite mastered my previous hobbies of touch rugby, French, dancing (contemporary, tap, balkan, african), among others, I figured I might as well jump head long into yet another pursuit so, art it is.
I was inspired by an episode of NHK World's fab "Tokyo Eye" programme where one of the guests drew a sketch of a place he visited in Tokyo. I realised I would love to be able to do that too. At around the same time I visited Edinburgh College of Art's end of year show which was really inspiring.  I also saw a drawing my cousin had done. She is a gradute of the famous and highly respected Glasgow School of Art.
So I rushed out and bought, a charcoal pencil, at WH Smith.  Not exciting but they do tell you not to spend too much money straight away on a new hobby and a charcoal pencil seemed really arty and thus, a good way to start.  I drew a few sketches, then did more shopping, this time for a set of pencils.  Here are my initial results: 

Manga face
Hello Kitty





No comments:

Post a Comment