Thursday 11 September 2014

Palais du Luxembourg

Completed in 1645 as a palace but now home to the French Senate, the Luxembourg Palace is just one of the many fine buildings in Paris.  I've just returned from my 14th visit to the city.  The palace can be found within the grounds of the Luxembourg gardens and I took a stroll there on Sunday which was a lovely time for a visit.  The weather was sunny and warm with the last vestiges of summer and there was a chilled out atmosphere as the Parisiens, tourists and returning students relaxed in this oasis of calm in the heart of the city.  Undoubtedly one of my favourite spots, though at this time of year fraught with danger, as I had two near misses from falling conkers (horse chestnuts).
There is perhaps nowhere better as a lunch spot once you've picked up a baguette from a nearby boulangerie and found your perfect vantage point from which to people watch or to lose yourself in your own thoughts or with your head buried in a book.
There is lots to do there too.  If you are lucky there might be a concert taking place at the bandstand, you could sail a miniature yacht on the large pond, the centre piece of the garden or the fittest amongst you could take to the tennis courts.  Tai Chi enthusiasts can be seen moving beautifully among the trees and retirees and studious young men are deeply engrossed in games of chess.
Of course, it's also the perfect place for a sketch. Using my Staedtler 0.5, I'm much happier with the outcome of this sketch than of my recent attempt at the Belem Tower.  Clearly the fine liner made it easier to create a more accurate image in these inexperienced hands. Once again however, I fell off the end of the page.....



No comments:

Post a Comment