Wednesday 22 October 2014

Falkland Palace

I've finished my Falkland Palace sketch.  I drew this over a few lunch breaks at work.  This activity makes a nice change from just surfing the net.  Most of the sketch was completed with my HB pencil I have at work.  I added a small number of details with a 6B at the end. 
The Palace is in Fife in Scotland and the drawing is based upon a photo I took there a few years ago.    You'll note that the tree is missing (you might spot it in the preliminary sketch I posted a few days ago).  I removed it as it was in the wrong place. I had planned to add it back in later but I'm not very good at trees so, having been quite happy with what I had done so far, I didn't wish to spoil it by plonking a big splodgy mess in the image. I think that's what is called artistic license. The Palace dates back to the 15th Century at least and contains the oldest tennis court in Britain still in use, having been constructed in 1539 (Thank you to @Falkland_Palace for providing the dates).
The village of Falkland itself is worth a day trip.  It is a pretty little spot which was the setting for some scenes from the TV series of the Diana Gabaldon novels "Outlander" which were filmed there in 2013.



detail

No comments:

Post a Comment