Saturday 20 June 2015

The Wei to draw hair

I used a soft 4B pencil here
At some point I was going to have to try to learn how to draw hair properly.  I have found The Art of Wei's excellent drawing videos on YouTube.  If you check out his website you will find he has an impressive catalogue of professional work. His videos are aimed at beginners or improvers and are a pleasure to watch as he clearly loves what he does and is happy to share his experience with others.  I previously had a go at drawing cloth by following one of his other videos.  Here is my first attempt at drawing hair  after applying his tips. I drew this from a picture in Vogue magazine.  The face was an afterthought really, which is one reason why it is a bit wonky. Lots of room for improvement of course but a satisfactory first effort.

I used a soft pencil with a rounded point as Wei suggests, which does make it much easier to try and create a more realistic effect.  I drew the face with the soft pencil too as that is what Wei did in the video but trying to draw detail without a fine point at the end of your pencil is pretty tricky.




No comments:

Post a Comment