Sunday 16 August 2015

Lauriston Castle sketching workshop




Fellow sketchers drawing in the Rose Garden.



Mark supplied us with a mount to display
our favourite image.
I've visited Lauriston Castle and grounds many times over the years. Today was one of the most fun and inspiring occasions.  I attended a speed sketching workshop with Mark Kirkham, better known to locals and readers of the Evening News as Edinburgh Sketcher.  Mark has been running a few of these classes over the summer for adults and families.  We were there for a couple of hours and tea and cake was provided, which always helps.  Luckily the weather held out today so we all went outdoors (20 of us I think) armed with our sketch pads and a few tips from Mark who guided us through the process of studying small details first (such as the window or flowers) then expanding upon those ideas to a larger scene.  After about and hour and a half we headed back inside a room in the castle to highlight our pictures with watercolours.  I enjoyed seeing what others created too.  I really must think about joining a sketching group as this is a very enjoyable way to spend your time and it was particularly pleasant to be with others engaged in the same activity rather than being on my own as I usually am when sketching.  Check out Mark's website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment